Bellator‘s first ever women’s featherweight champion will be crowned in May.
Two veterans in women’s MMA Marloes Coenen (23-6 MMA 2-0 Bellator) and Julia Budd (8-2 MMA 2-0 Bellator) will meet at Bellator 155 for the first ever women’s featherweight title. MMA Junkie reported both fighters had been lobbying for the fight for some time.
Coenen has a Strikeforce title on her resume, is 4-1 in her last five and undefeated under the Bellator banner. Coenen is a 16 year vet who’s had her mettle tested against the best. In the past 6 years she has lost to only two women, Cris “Cyborg” Justino and current UFC bantamweight queen Meisha Tate. She holds submission victories over UFC vets Liz Carmouche and Sarah Kaufman.
Budd started her professional career 2-2 and has since ran off six straight wins. Her only two losses have come against top level competition, dropping fights against former UFC queen Ronda Rousey and UFC contender Amanda Nunes. She has back to back wins under the Bellator banner picking up unanimous decision wins over Gabrielle Holloway and Roberta Paim Rovel.
The title fight will headline the Bellator 155 prelims in an attempt to push the promotions online platform. Here’s how Bellator 155 is shaping up. You can watch the perliminary bouts right here at thefighthouse.com starting at 6:30 p.m. ET time. The main card will follow on Spike at 9 p.m. ET.
- Champ Rafael Carvalho vs. Melvin Manhoef – for middleweight title
- Pat Curran vs. Georgi Karakhanyan
- Dan Charles vs. Augusto Sakai
- Marcin Held vs. Dave Jansen
- Joey Beltran vs. Chase Gormley
- Julia Budd vs. Marloes Coenen – for inaugural women’s featherweight title
- Tyler Freeland vs. Joe Hamilton
- Veta Arteaga vs. Jackie Vandenburgh
- Hamilton Ash vs. Vince Morales
- Casey Johnson vs. Brendon Raftery
- Scott Thometz vs. Josh Tyler
- Will Noland vs. Sean Powers
- Erick Cronkhite vs. Ricky Steele
- Olly Bradstreet vs. Jesse Brock